Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Liberty (Granada) Theatre - 2/8 Wood
Camas, Washington
315 NE 4th Ave
 
Back to the Washington Original Theatre Installations page

Click for a larger version of thei image (44K)
Granada Theatre in 1927
This neighborhood house opened as the "Granada" in 1927. The architect was P.M. Hall Lewis of Portland. The theatre, which seated 800, was designed in a Moorish/Spanish style. Interior and facade decoration was by Chas. Anman of Portland.
 
The theatre originally had a 2/8 Wood (two chamber) theatre pipe organ costing $12,000. The opening feature movie was a war comedy "Lost at the Front" with George Sidney and Charlie Murray.
 
Click for a larger version of this image (64K)
NE 4th St, Liberty Theatre on right, c.1947
 
Click for a larger version of this image (36K)
NE 4th St, Liberty Theatre on left, c.1950
 
After a fire gutted the theater in 1994, the owners (the Farrell family) spared no expense in refurbishing the Liberty to its former splendor with original seats and details that maintain the history of this small town's only movie theater. Unfortunately, the restoration did not include the re-installation of a theatre pipe organ.
 
Click for a larger version of thei image (30K)
Liberty marquee, c.1998
Click for a larger version of this image (50K)
Auditorium after rebuild
 
Color photos and descriptive text from the Liberty Theatre web site:

http://www.libertytheater.com

© 1999-2001 Liberty Theater, Camas WA
 


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2005