Butchart Gardens Organ Pavilion - 2/ Aeolian
Back to the B.C. Canada Original Theatre Organ Installations page
Seattle's Dick Schrum at the Butchart Aeolian, c. 1967
The former residence of Robert and Jenny Butchart houses a two-manual Aeolian player pipe organ built in 1908.
In the Summer months following the Saturday night fireworks displays, listeners pack up their blankets and lawn chairs while listening to a mini concert performed by the player mechanism or live organist.
According to one visitor: "The instrument is housed in a small building on the upper part of the Concert Lawn, and the organ and organist are visible at night on the second floor through a sound screen when the room is lighted. The console is 2 manuals and pedal, and the pipe chambers are visible as they are illuminated during the performance, giving a "show" of sorts when the swell shades are used."
More information is available on the Butchart Gardens web site: