Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Globe Theatre - 2/8 Hillgreen, Lane & Co.
Vancouver, B.C.
851 Granville St.
Organ installation timeframe: 1920 -
 
Back to the B.C. Canada Original Theatre Installations page

Click for a larger version of this image Granville Street, looking North c.1920. Image courtesy City of Vancouver Archives, public domain
 
According to the OHS Pipe Organ Database, the Globe Theatre orignally had a 2/8 Hillgreen, Lane & Co. (opus 604) installed in 1920. Current status is unknown.
 
This instrument is not listed in the Junchen opus lists or PSTOS Eugene Nye/Bill bunch records.
 
According to the Heritage Vancouver Society, the Globe Theatre started out in 1912, designed by architect and engineer C. P. Gregory. In 1938, the theatre was updated by architect Thomas Kerr and renamed Paradise Theatre. It was at this time that the Art Moderne style facade was added. In 1964, architect Ross Lort further updated the theatre and renamed to Coronet Theatre.
 
Click for a larger version of this image August 1937. Image courtesy Vancouver Public Library, public domain
 
Click for a larger version of this image September 1938. The remodel to "Paradise" is underway. Image courtesy Vancouver Public Library, public domain
 
c.1939. Image courtesy Vancouver Public Library, public domain
 
Click for a larger version of this image 1946
 
Click for a larger version of this image c.1959. Image courtesy City of Vancouver Archives, public domain.
 
Click for a larger version of this image July 8, 1964 - Opening day as the Coronet. Image courtesy Vancouver Public Library, public domain.
 
According to the Heritage Vancouver Society, the theatre changed names to Granville Cineplex in 1986. In 2005 it was renamed Empire Granville & Cinemas, before ultimately closing in 2012.
 
Click for a larger version of this image Art Moderne facade c.2016. Image courtesy Heritage Vancouver Society
 


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2019